Saturday, May 29, 2010

First look at Speedplay

Every time I plan small upgrade, I end up with much more. I was moving from triple to double setup but also ended up with Speedplay zero stainless pedals. Here is what is in the box.



It is necessary to read the installing instructions along with warnings or else you might end up damaging them. It was very easy installing them on my three hole Merida Carbon sole shoes.

I had damaged my first SPD cleats, from occasional walking. See the difference between not using and using cleat covers.



Since then I always use cleat covers. I bought coffee caps, cleat covers from Speedplay. Kool Kovers also makes covers for Speedplay. My earlier SPD cleat covers are from them. Don't expect to jog with them! They are good enough for short walk. Also, Speedplay's cleats need to lubed, so, covers help protect them.





What I like about Speedplay is ->
Adjustable float on both directions(in and out). Notice the arrow, they can be turned to get convenient float. Anyways, as you see my preference is zero float.



Two more thinks I feel with Speedplay are;

1. SPDs are wider than Speedplay, comfortable ground contact area.


2. With Speedplays I feel like 'heel' in the front. Those caps give large surface area, easy walking.





I definitely need covers!!

No comments: