Tuesday, August 31, 2010

On Powercranks!!

At last took a plunge into Powercranks! How is I got them is not a happy story. These are very expensive ~$900 for the basic ones. So, I bought them off ebay. The seller had ISIS BB along with it. I always trusted ebay sellers and had not had any problem till now. This time I learnt a $ lesson. My friend was visiting me, so I got them shipped to him. When I got it in my hands I found the BB was bent. :( I don't mean to complain with ebay in general but my first bitter experience.

Obviously, my search for the ISIS BB started. I was bewildered with the rant I found on net. It seems this open standard, ISIS, was created because of the patented octalink BB by Shimano. I hardly came across anyone who had good experience with any brand but SKF. The roller bearings on drive side and ball bearings on the non drive side really got me interested. Alas, it didn't last long. I could not find any online retailer but Vintage Bicycle Press with stock, but they were also vacation. With all the warnings I read on net, I still went ahead and brought FSA Mega Pro.

I really wanted to post video of how installed BB and the PC but I could not get a good video. I need a tripod for my camera, so forget.

It has been just two days I installed them on my bike. My experiences are not different from here (search for powercranks). I could not keep up them in place and rhythm, even for a minute. It was very disappointing. I tried being hero for 5 minutes, lived up to self. Then came the ego hurter, I could not lift my legs to get down the bike. I enjoyed the pain in muscles next day. :) I plan to slowly increase my time on them.



Now that I have every thing I need for my training, I plan to start training soon. I plan to put them here. It will go this way; base period, build period. I don't intend to race, but I want to see what my potential is!

2 comments:

Minkey Chief said...

Interesting, I never knew these things existed. Are they working for you? Seems like seriously hard work to crank like that.

D V Praveen said...

hi Minkey, They DO work. I used them till Nov00. I really could see the difference. I can see and feel every muscle in my legs. The first week was very, very tough. Even after two months, I could not cross 75 cadence within Zone2.
I fell ill after that. I'll start again after recovering.